Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011


Before anyone can critique Timothy Keller’s book, Counterfeit Gods, they must first define and acknowledge a Biblical definition of idolatry.  Most people rightly understand that idolatry is what we learned in Sunday School, where people made gods from wood, or gold, or some other earthly material, and then sought favors and bestowed honors and rituals upon these inanimate objects.

When my pastor first introduced me to this book as a study, I was quick to reject its primary thesis as Biblically untenable.  In fact, I even wrote my own thesis in rejection of Keller’s book, and sent it to my pastor.  He graciously offered a few counter points, and left it at that.

Now, after more than a year, I finally went back to the book, fully intending to understand who was right – me or Keller.  So, I forced my preconceptions to the background of my thought, and caused myself to question my own understanding.  I needed the truth, and if my own preconceptions were wrong, the only way I could know the truth was to assume that I was hugely ignorant.

Now, after several weeks of study, I can honestly say that I was hugely ignorant.  Keller was most definitively correct.  It is very true, that ANYTHING can become an idol.  I suppose that part of my entrenched ignorance was due to my perception of Keller’s theological position as a closeted leader of the emergent movement.  When you think the worst of people, you seldom give them props for anything.

We can argue all we want regarding whether my understanding of Keller’s position in the emergent movement is true or not, but this review deals specifically with Keller’s promotion of idolatry as being ANYTHING that takes the place of God.  In reading the Ten Commandments, we read the first commandment stating that, “I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.  Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”

This is not the 2nd commandment which forbids idolatry, but we must remember that the Ten Commandments can be understood as two commandments, as instructed by Jesus:  “Master, which is the great commandment in the law?  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” (Matthew 22:36-40)

When you view the Ten Commandments, you notice that they deal primarily with two entities: God, and everyone else.  The first 4 deal specifically with God, and how we are to view Him, and respect Him, and worship Him, and love Him, etc.  The last 6 deal with how we are to view everyone else, and respect them, and love them.

Notice that God says that we are to love Him with all our heart, soul and mind.  This is what the first 4 commandments tell us.  The last 6 tell us that we must love our neighbors as ourselves.  Keller puts these two commandments into perspective by outlining the proper relationship that we need to have with God, not by denying all other relationships, but by keeping God in a proper perspective in our lives.

Keller shares from many perspectives how people take and place something or someone above God in meaning and care.  He shows us that when we do this that we take God out of our place in our hearts and souls and minds, and allow something else to take precedence.  This is why Jesus says, “For where your Treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Luke 12:34)  Do you want to know what has your heart?  Look at what you treasure the most.

Basically, Keller introduces the concept of virtual idols.  In the introduction, he asks: “What is an idol?  It is anything more important to you than God, anything that absorbs your heart and imagination more than God, anything you seek to give you what only God can give.” 

Keller shows us how it is that men take anything that can capture our hearts, and how we then set it up as a counterfeit to God.  The whole purpose of the book is summed up in the subtitle: “The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope That Matters.”

If you want a better understanding of what you view as important, and whether or not you are placing that as superior to God, then I highly recommend this book.  It will give you much food for thought, and guide you in looking at those things that you value.  It caused me to stop and view just where I placed God in my life, and to make some corrective moves to keep God first.

No comments:

Post a Comment